Since the last post I have been very busy but have still managed to add a bit more to the campaign idea.
We have agreed that the campaign will:
- Play the boardgame “Skirmish” as normal until there is either a major battle or a naval battle. This is when both forces end their move in the same area.
- Transfer this to the table top – Each counter (Land or ship) =100pts
- Before the campaign starts each counter is numbered and a force representing it is picked (see below).
- After the battle forces are reviewed and consolidated with surplus counters being removed.
- Each unit is to be tracked and their ratings can be modified depending on things such as: winning/losing/ engaged enemy.
- The boardgame has a watermark effect which shows hills, very subtle but this will be used to determine if the tabletop game (Land) will be set up as plain or hilly.
- I have also used an Excel sheet to generate the terrain layout.
Here is the initial layout with a few of the counters numbered
If anyone would like the spreadsheets then here they are.
When the battle is to be played I transfer the units to their tabletop organisation.
This allows me to copy the cells from the bottom depending upon the units in the brigades and paste into their tabletop structure above. One of the Brigadiers becomes the CiinC. This can then be printed and used to track units through the game.
Here is the original excel sheets for both the British and Americans
I have also been painting a few units ready for our first game
Hope this is of some interest. Next blog I will cover the terrain generator.