Sat in my collection is a large amount of units for the War of the Roses era. Lockdown has meant reduced opportunities for figure gaming and made me realise that the possibilities of getting large groups together to play will/maybe a while away. Therefore I decided to review the possibility of scaling down my normal engagements to fit within the parameters of Lion Rampant.
Most units will fit within the normal LR unit structure with one exception, artillery. While this may not have formed a main part of the typical field force it did appear albeit in limited numbers.
These are my rules for Artillery in LR.
• Use 1 artillery model plus 4 crew. Reduction in crew impacts effectiveness of unit in a different way to any other unit on the table, please see below.
• May be operated so long as 1 crewman is still alive.
• Points cost: Light 4 points, Med 5 points and Heavy 6 points.
• Range: Light 24”, Medium 36” and Heavy 48”
• Shoot: 7+. Option, roll a double 1 and gun explodes!
• Shoot Value: To determine the number of possible hits roll a D4 for light, D8 for Med and D12 for Heavy. The result is the number of possible hits. This number of D6 are then rolled with a shoot Value of 3+ adjust due scores by -1 if target is more than 12” away. Target armour is reduced to 1 although hard cover adds +1 soft cover gives no benefit.
• Reload action: Light =8+ Med 9+ and Heavy 10+. After a successful Shoot action, the artillery may not be fired again until a successful Reload action(I place a gunpowder barrel beside until reloaded) has taken place. This is carried out as a normal ordered activation. I do apply -1 per lost crew. Therefore, a light gun with only 1 crew member remaining will only reload on a 11 and med on a 12! This also means that a heavy would require a 13! This is when a leader (Not attached permanently to a unit in my games) can inspire a unit by adding a +1 motivation to any units within 6” if unattached or only to a single unit to which it is attached.
• May not move during the game and must be deployed in the player’s deployment zone but has a 180 degree of fire.
• If contacted, shot at, and for Courage tests, the crew count as a normal 6 fig unit except when down to 2 crew figures when it is then half strength.
• The crew must maintain cohesion within 1″ of gun.
• Armour 1.
• Upgrade to expert gunners @2pt- instead of D4, D8 or D12s for no. of potential hits use DAV, 2DAV-2 and 2DAV. +1 to reloads dice and +1 shoot action
• Upgrade with a Mantlet @1pt– Armour 3 from shooting only.