Legionary 2016 is now only a week away (30th April 2016). Therefore I have started to pack away my game, ready for the show.
Here are a last few pictures before the show.
Having had a break following the hectic time leading up to legionary, I have started to get withdraw symptoms from wargaming. To ease me back in I started to make the first of many MDF kits purchased from Charlie Foxtrot at the Exeter Legionary Show. This model is catalogued as Napoleonic but is definitely suitable for any period from that date. I suppose it is only the tiles etc. on the roof that may stop if even being used in earlier periods.
This is a big kit and at £19, I think it offers great value for money. (16x11x34cm excluding chimney pots)
Once the basic kit was made I did a little filling to cover the joints. I then spayed the timbers and added them on top of the painted walls. Once finished I gave the building a wash to have a tired look. The tiles are as supplied in the basic kit, while flat a little time spent adding some depth pays off. At least I think so. The figures are Perry, Old Glory and Victrix.
What I like about these kits :
Not sure which to start on next.
Here is the next instalment for the Are You Being Serfed rules, a record sheet.
This should keep the need to have any reference markers etc. on the table to a minimum. The only exception being possibly reload markers for artillery.
For this we use the arrow clumps from the Perry box sets placed behind the base and remove one for each reload actioned.
Pretty self-explanatory but any issues drop me a line.
Below you will find a pdf version and an Excel version for you to edit if you wish.
Sorry it has been a while but I am just recovering from flu. No, not man flu but real flu. It floored me for over a week.
Even though I have been feeling better for about a week it still sapped me of any enthusiasm.
What I have done to get back into the flow is to work on the rules we will be using for the demo game I am putting on at legionary on the 2nd May 2015.
If you have looked at any of the other rule sets we use, you will soon become familiar with the processes.
I make no apologies for them. I believe they will give a fast and fun game. We are going to have in the region of 40+ units, 800+ figures on the table and with possibly only 2 players they need to be.
In the next few weeks I will add some more supporting paperwork for record keeping and I am also working on a random army generator so should also have some army lists. In the meantime here are the rules, I hope you enjoy them.
I have read through them a couple of time so I hope they make as much sense to you as they do to me. They do not cover every eventuality but if you enjoy these types of rules then it will not be an issue for you to work it out with the rest of the players. These are to have a laugh with but give a good sense of play. If you are a player who plays to the rules rather than the spirit of a game, please avoid them like the plague.
If you have any questions please drop me a line.
A bit of a push on over the weekend.
Below are some shots of some more units I finished over the weekend.
These are mainly Old Glory figures with a few Foundry in the front rank.
One of the house rules I have added is the ability for units to run low on ammo. This add a -1 on their ability to hit. I decided it would look good on the table to have some sort of ammo resupply. So if these carts are moved next to a low on ammo unit they may restock on arrows etc.
I have given the wagoner an outfit in a battles livery colour without any specific badges.
Henry Holland, 3rd Duke of Exeter (27 June 1430 – September 1475)
As I stated in an Earlier blog I had to do a mounted command version. well here he is. These are Foundry figures with a home made flag. All I have left to do is the basing.
Think I need a week off painting.
The other week another few units turned up from Alan Hunter at Deadkingsrise painting service (http://deadkingsrise.blogspot.co.uk/). He is helping me out by providing a few! units to go with my own growing collection. 3 units of dismounted knights and a unit of Welsh spearmen turned up this time.
So far I have only based the Welsh. These are Perry plastics with alternative heads and a few spears from other manufactures. I really like them as they do give an impression of a hastily formed unit. There are 2 units of Welsh archers still to come to help support these.
The bottom two pictures show a Welsh spear unit I have painted to go side by side with this unit.
Here is my unit. They are foundry.
Just a little update on some more painting I have been doing for my game at Legionary 2015 (http://www.exmouthwargames.org.uk/). Below are a few photos of units I have painted in the last month.
I have managed to complete:
1 unit of Old Glory mounted knights- These are very animated figures, including the horses which could be considered a little too thin for my likings but they at least fit in with the foundry metals I have.
2 Artillery bases – These are Front Rank. I have to admit that these are the only front rank figures I have and will be the last for my War of the Roses armies. They are OK figures but so out of scale with any other manufacturer I have, they may not even make it to the table. One base is painted to represent Warwick and the other with the red/black livery will be ideal for Shrewsbury or Northampton.
1 unit of Northern Horse. These are Foundry. These are also done in the red/black livery so will be ideal for Shrewsbury or Northampton and probably many others. I have decided to not put livery emblems on the figures and to use a Banner. The trick is to wrap the banner around a small tube/pipe and slide it over the standard-bearer’s spear. I have found that a cotton bud with the ends cut off is ideal for this. Then when you need a unit on the oppositions side, just swap banners.